Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hell on Earth - World's Toughest Ironman


After being redirected through Charlotte, then on to Philly and Barcelona we made it safely, bikes and all to the Isle of Lanzarote .....aka the "Devil's Den". As you can see from the picture above - this is what this isle looks like. A volcanic isle made up on a rugged landscape from spewing volcanic eruptions over thousands of years. I haven't quite figured out why anyone would live here - including even the snakes and lizards.

The wind on the isle redefines the word. It is not wind - it is a constant category 2 tornado. Words cannot do it justice. Needless to say it is going to make for a dangerous bike ride - not the ascents - but the descents - which I like to tuck and do the Bode Miller - may have to change the plan.

Today was our first full day in LZ. We got up at 6AM to 35MPH winds, not gust, but wind. The bay where we swim is protected - with 68F-70F water temps and water as clear as the gin that I'm going to drink on Saturday night. Lot's of parrot fish, flounder and mahi mahi. Still 2.4 miles is a long way to swim.

The run, is relatively flat - key word relative - to TN yes - to a pancake - not even close. Ask an athlete 18 miles into the run if the course is flat - and you're liable to get your block knocked off - like the blue boxer.

The bike - well - it's the challenge and has made me rethink and assess my whole game plan for Saturday am. I've never experienced wind like is here in LZ. To boot, there is 9,000 ft of climb in 80F+ heat. If you run off the road - you're cooked - literally.

Getting rest tomorrow - relaxing - going to get my game on - a PR looks like it's out of reach given the bike course and heat. However, I'm showing up to race and race hard - I'm not leaving this isle with any thought that I could've raced harder.

Go big or stay home.........

Cheers!!

1 comment: