Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Sunday, November 14, 2010

3 Weeks till NF 50 Trail Run......Game On!


Managed to finish the week, STRONG! Got in a 10 mile run on Friday morning followed by calf and core work out. No issues with the right high achilles - that's HUGE! Yesterday I got up at 6AM for a 15 mile run with a local young bull and a bunch of U-30 triathletes. It was a beautiful blue sky morning, 55F when we started and 60's when we finished.

The course was all pavement, except that I tried to run on the grass, thru downtown Nashville. It was a hilly run which was good for the quads and prep for NF 50 Trail Run, which has more hills than calves and quads can handle. We averaged a modest 9 min/mile pace. The goal was to just put time on the legs and train at a slower pace. This is important because you do not want to go out too hot on a 50 miler, else you pay for it with a down on one knee BONK somewhere in the 30 mile zone.

Post run I iced down my right achilles and sucked down amino acids, recoverite and Aleve. It did the trick. I woke up this am popped some more Aleve, vitamins and H2O. Today is a cross training day. Swimming at the WCRC, long course, which will help the cardiovascular and endurance, with 1.5 hours of swimming. Going to jump try to get in a 2 hour bike ride before the swim. Would like to get in 3 hours of training today.

This week is a very important week to stay focused on staying healthy and not overdoing the training. I expect to get in 25 miles, all on the treadmill, 90% of which will be at a 10% grade or greater. 2 weeks out starts the taper, which admittedly I suck at, it is the hardest aspect of training. 1 week out is all about rest and staying loose while keeping weight off. Currently at 182lbs this am - which is 6-7 pounds heavier than I need to be for the NF 50 Trail Run. Thinking I go into the race at 177-178lbs, given the distance and need for strength. If I go in too light I will fade in the late stages of the race. That aint gonna happen.

Cheers!!

1 comment:

  1. Looking foward to seeing you this weekend in Denver! Will make sure you don't eat or drink too much:)

    ReplyDelete