Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

ST GEORGE

I'm going to have to look up what Saint, George actually was. I'm hoping he is the Saint of Endurance, Good Fortune, Tail Winds or something that will help me get through this next Ironman. Most triathletes never feel "totally" prepared when entering a race. That's usually just their triple type A personalities yielding to their fundamental insecurities. At 10 days out from IM STG I have trained the least but the best prepared, if that makes any sense.

My longest bike ride was 80 miles this past weekend in 48F rainy weather on a hilly middle TN track that had about 5,300 feet of elevation gain and about the same in elevation loss. It took about 4hrs and 45 minutes to complete and when we finished I had no feeling in either foot and I was done. The thought of swimming 2.4 miles before the ride and running a marathon after the 80 mile bike ride was depressing.

On Sunday I swam 3,300 meters which is about 2 miles in about 81 minutes in the pool. I was pretty tired when I finished.  I just checked the expected water temps and it's looking like 62F...damn that's cold.  So I'm expecting to have frozen feet by the time I exit the water and will most likely have to work hard at getting them warm.  It'll take the first 2 hours on the bike before I'll get feeling back into them...something to look forward to.  Gotta remember to bring my neoprene cap.  The thought right now of getting into that cold of water that early in the morning is not very pleasant.

My runs have topped out at 13-14 miles, most of which is on trails and will serve me well on a flat surface.

When you add the three disciplines up you can calculate independently a time that would be in the 12 hour range. For those who have performed this little mathematical exercise understand its simple pitfall, the math never adds up on race day.

My training levels overall have not been up to IM levels of the past however I do feel prepared mentally, despite the physical unpreparedness.   In 10 days slow and steady will "win" the race. Nutrition is paramount. Not rushing through the transition stages is important to insure that I've got all of the boxes checked. State of mind is most important. Positive energy will carry the day. Having completed 4 IM's, 7 1/2 IM's, several 50 mile trail runs, DNF'g two 100 mile trail runs (mile 72 and 80) along with completing a 100 mile run at high altitude I understand the traps that lurk around each of the three disciplines. The ugliest trap is the one the one between your ears. I've been caught there and have figured out how to get out.

I signed up for this race to so that I would build an early season base upon which to build for the UTMB. Goal is to finish with no injuries. If I can PR the run then that's icing on the cake. I'll need to do the marathon in under 4:20 to accomplish....sounds easy right?  Gotta stay focused on the prize...UTMB.

Race day is on the horizon...and looking forward to competing and checking off a 5th IM....

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment