Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Friday, August 8, 2014

Bighorn 100 Race Recap

The BH100 is set in the Bighorn Mountains which is actually part of the Rockies.   Sheridan WY is a small town that hosts the race, however, the start takes place in Dayton, WY.  The primary economy is oil & gas.  It’s a very cool small town of about 17,000 real people.   My hat off to the race organizers for finding this gem of a course for us to race.  It’s by far the most scenic race that I’ve run to date.  The pics below do not do it justice.

It was an unusual race starting time at 11AM, which I actually liked but for the fact that they schedule a 9AM prerace meeting.  It was great not having to get up at the crack to get to the race start.  The course is a 100.5 mile out and back with about 18,000 feet of climb, which felt like much more than that due to the length and positioning of them.   It’s primarily single track with an uneven trail base, making it more difficult to traverse than the flat even trails on most courses.

Below is a summary of my race statistics.   Remember, it’s all about finishing.  There was about 300 entrants for the race and only 116 actually finished…even with a 34 hour cutoff.

Clock Time:
32:25:48.44
Chip Time:
32:25:48.44
Pace:
19:27/mile
Overall:
84 / 116
Gender:
69 / 93
Age Group:
16 / 25


The next race up is the Leadville 100.  I’ve completed it twice and DNF’d once.  My training has been solid so I’m thinking that I will be able to grind out yet another finish.  I’m taking nothing for granted.  It is a tough tough race with the altitude tough climbs and volatile weather.

All is good…CHEERS!


PT

No comments:

Post a Comment