Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Friday, June 25, 2010

Leadville Training Weekend


Tomorrow at 6:30AM I'll be having my pre-race training breakfast with 100 other people that are most likely a little left of center. A bus takes us to the starting line for a 26 mile run at an average of 11,000 ft of altitude. When I arrived this afternoon it was a challenge to walk up 3 flights of stairs without having to stop and catch my breath. I strapped on my HR monitor as I left the hotel to the race HQ to get my gear. My average HR was 85-90 BPM that's 15BPM more than my average.

It's going to be an interesting morning. The weather is expected to be chilly, in the 30's at the start and then into the 60's by the time we finish. Potential showers or snow at the higher elevations. Still lot's of snow on the mountains here. Some great views - planning on getting some pics on my Iphone tomorrow.

Hydrating this evening, loaded up on pasta, got my energy drinks planned out and various supplements for the run. Most concerned about my achilles. The plan is to get down in 4.5-5 hours. Have no idea what the altitude is going to do to me - well actually I know what it'll do - but don't know the impact on my game.

Leadville is a very very cool town. Using this weekend to plan for the race. Getting an RV lined up for my crew along with some LT 100 shirts and memorabilia. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll learn something. In life there are very few firsts when you're 43 yrs old - tomorrow will be a first for me to run a marathon at 11,000 feet. I'm excited and a little on edge about the day.

Cheers ...... Go U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A!!!!!!!

PREDICTION - USA 2 GHANA NIL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment