Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Leadville 100 Trail Run Training Begins.......



Official training for the Leadville 100 Trail Run has begun. Post IM LZ I took off 5 days to let the ol bod recuperate - then managed to get in 60 miles during the first week of run focused training. It's important to note that during IM training I was averaging 30-40 miles per week of running, building a solid base - which also included lot's of cycling as well. I've cut back significantly on the cycling and swimming, but need to introduce it back into my schedule.

This past week I managed to get in about 50 miles of running. 2 days of speed work and 3 days with longer runs. My longest run this week was about 18 miles, in Denver, when I got lost. My primary concern is keeping a watchful eye on the wear and tear on my achilles and knees. I've been loading up on Recoverite and L-Glutamine post runs. In addition, a heavier protein diet has been a focus as well. I'm trying to build muscle or re-build after breaking it down on the long runs. Keeping on weight has been a little bit of a challenge. I'm at 174 pounds right now - not feeling super strong. I've got to hit the gym and work my quads and calves to stay strong. Leadville is a slow and steady grind of a race - as much physical as mental - I'm thinking. Getting my rest has been a challenge as well - work has been hectic - little too much stress right now for my liking. In a general funk - but trying to keep it all together.

Oh - yeah - I forgot to mention - I've been on the trails in Denver trying to get use to the uneven terrain, strengthening my ankles, etc. This past week on my morning run, an out and back, I ran up on a rattle snake - yep - a rattle snake. It was very small - maybe a 16 inches long - but scared the **** out of me! I made Dwight Stone's olympic winning jump look juvenile. Needless to say - the rest of the week I stayed off of that trail.



Overall feeling ok - not great - but ok - a little burned out in all areas. Need to find some inspiration - and my MOJO. Thinking about signing up for the Steelhead 70.3 IM in Michigan at the end of July to keep me focused. Maybe head up their with the Fam - or maybe just solo. Would really like to do another 140.6 IM this year, but probably not in the cards as my trip to London and Ireland this fall with old bro and the Rents in late September along with a fall vacation will take me away from work more than I need to be right now.

Below is my training schedule for the 12 weeks leading up to the race:

Week Ending:

June 5 60 miles
June 12 50 miles
June 19 50 miles
June 26 60 miles
July 3 60 miles
July 10 60 miles
July 17 70 miles
July 24 70 miles
July 31 50 miles
August 7 60 miles
August 14 50 miles
August 21 30 miles
August 22 RACE DAY 100 MILES

That's about 670 miles of training over a 12 week period. Focus remains on staying healthy and to avoid developing any over use injuries. If I sense that - then I'll simply back off. Cannot enter a 100 mile run with any tweeks whatsoever.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment