Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Taper is is Overrated Go Big or Stay Home!!!


The LT 100 is less than 2 weeks out.........getting most anxious to tackle this challenge. I have trained well. I have studied the course. I have spent 4 weekends in Leadville training on the course, learning it, understanding its twists, turns, ups and downs. I expect that I will have a leg up on 85% of the field on race day. My primary pacer, Daley Erwin, spent a weekend on the hardest parts of the course as well, focusing on the trails that he will guide me in on the back 50 miles in under 14 hours. This may seem easy, however, running 50 miles in 11 hours and following it up with another 50 miles in under 14 hours will only be accomplished by 10% of the field.

The Plan...........patience, diligence, focus and a simple but extraordinary level of perseverance will deliver a sub-25 hour performance on race day. Admittedly I'm concerned. Always second guessing whether you've prepared enough you enter the race not knowing if you have what it takes to complete a 100 mile ultramarathon. The LT 100 has the lowest percentage of finishers of all ultramarathons at 42%. Not certain if it's because anyone can enter or the combination of volatile weather conditions and altitude that result in many DNF's. Needless to say, I respect the course, the potential conditions, altitude and the distance to take it lightly.



I'm pretty excited about my crew team and support that I will have in Leadville. This is my secret weapon that other racers do not have. My team has super mojo that will undoubtedly have a big impact on my state of mind during the race. It's going to be a very long day for everyone.

In my next entry I'm going to summary my race day detail plans...nutrition, hydration, gear, pace times, etc. In the interim, I've dropped in some photos that inspire me..............love my little doggies that are much larger than life.

1 comment:

  1. Go big or stay home baby!!!!!!! Looking foward to the big day- woohoo! I will bring my positive mojo...

    ReplyDelete