Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Sunday, September 5, 2010

2 weeks till IM Syracuse 70.3




Since IM Lanzarote I've only been on the bike 3X and 4X in the water. With a focus on trail running, my legs are very strong from running at altitude long distances over very very hilly terrain. I had my first "long" bike ride yesterday, clicking out 50 miles in about 2:40 minutes on a tough track, steep climbs and windy conditions, as well as heat in the 80's. I wasn't the least bit fatigued when I got off of the bike, felt good. My HR averaged about 130BPM and my lungs were good, although I'm still a bit congested - not sure what the deal is there.

This morning I swam with my Excel triathlete training group in a 50 meter wave pool for 1.5 hours. I can say that I was a little tired from the swim - or maybe from all of the beer that I drank last night at Carla's gig - most likely the latter. It was a good way for me to start my day. I'm heading out shortly on my bike to Prairie life to work my core and hit the tread mill for a couple of miles. I haven't run but once since Leadville as I'm nursing a pretty serious IT band problem. I've been doing my stretches twice a day as well as hip strengthening exercises that Daley Ervin provided to me. The good news is that I did not feel it all on the bike yesterday. We'll see how it goes tonight. I'm not really planning on doing much running at all between now and IM Syracuse 70.3. Speed work may deliver me a set back with my IT band so i'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that I can put together a good run on race day. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to do a 1:30 1/2 marathon, unless my IT band acts up.

With just two weeks to go I'm going to focus on the bike and swim. Need a 35 minute swim and be out of T1 in 40 minutes. Should be able to put up a 2:50 bike time and T2 transition of 2 minutes and with a 1:30 run I'll be cutting it close to a sub 5 hour time. The math always looks easy - however - it's a different computation on race day. A flat or drafting penalty could derail any plans and the bike ride is always a guess. Could be a 3 hour bike from the looks of the website.

Till then - I will train hard and will not have any meaningful taper going into the race. A taper seams rather silly after Leadville. A 5 hour day pales in comparison to 18+ hours of running 2 weeks ago. So as I always say......go big or stay home!!

Cheers!

PS - Enjo the pics from Leadville.

No comments:

Post a Comment