Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Training & Race Update

Since IM STG I've been training hard on the trails, in the gym and on the bike.  On Memorial Day weekend I participated in a 100 mile bike ride in Clarksville, TN, a very flat fast track.  The race started out badly.  The lead peloton comprised of about 50 cyclists had a spectacular wreck at about mile 5.  Fortunately I was hanging back off the lead group catching dirty air when it occurred, so I was able to avoid it.  I stopped to help the injured, four men in their 30's/40's that were pretty jacked up.  One guy was twisted all up in the barb wire fence while the other three had broken wrists, collarbones, shoulders and elbows.  Another guy that stopped dialed 911 for an ambulance.  Everyone appeared to be "ok" per se so I hopped back on my Felt B2 Pro and decided to stay away from ALL pelotons.  Approximately 4:50 minutes later I finished the race.   Interestingly enough 3 weeks before in STG it took me 7 hours and 35 minutes to do 112 miles, which shows you just how tough STG was.  Must say, Clarksville was a confidence booster.

The previous weekend I entered the Cedars of Lebanon super sprint triathlon at the last minute.  The course was a 200 yard swim, 10 mile bike and a 2 mile run....a far cry from IM STG.  My goal was to win this race.  I finished top 5 overall missing the top spot by 2 minutes, but placed 1st for the overall Masters category (45 Yrs + age group).  The course was flat and fast and I pushed hard after getting out of the water averaging about 25MPH on the bike and a 7 min/mile on the run(which was actually a little hilly but not bad). Definitely worked the fast twitch muscles that morning.

I'm gearing up this weekend for the Dirty 30 trail run in Golden Gate Canyon State Park, outside of Golden Colorado.  Several of us that are doing the UTMB signed up for this race to get in some solid training.  The course starts at about 7,800 ft and goes up to 9,800 ft of altitude.  Total elevation gain and loss in about 22,000 ft...which is pretty challenging.  My expected time will be somewhere between 6 to 6.5 hours.  The weather is suppose to be pretty hot so I'm most likely going to put on my white long sleeve compression shirt, compression socks and a white hat to keep the sun from scorching me at these altitudes.  The gun goes off at 6AM so hopefully I'll be getting my post race massage by 1PM :)

Oh, yes, I can't forget to mention that I'm doing the summer Death Race in Pittsfield, VT on June 15, 2012.  I know that I said that I'd never do that race again...but I am, enough said.  So, as a result, I have begun cross fit training at the gym, cranking out burps, push ups, sit ups, box jumps, chin ups, lat pulls, etc. all to build upper body and core strength.  I've got a great endurance base, I need to build my upper body strength to more effectively compete at the DR.  Not certain how much I can accomplish in 2 weeks but i'm hitting hard everyday in the gym doing strength training drills.

Will continue to blog about the results of the up and coming races and progress on training.

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment