Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Death Race is Approaching.....

It's Tuesday morning.  In 72 hours it'll be 7:30AM EST in Pittsfield, VT and almost game time.  There has been a ton of chatter on the Spartan Death Race Facebook group site along with several emails from the organizers and a video trying to get into everyone's heads.  For them its a great game.  For the competitors it's really just the same.  A group of adventure seekers that occupy a space on this planet several standard deviations from the mean will all be gathering to see just how tough they really are.

The current weather forecast is shaping up quite nicely with highs in the upper 70's and lows at night in the mid 50's...not too bad.  It is the northeast, and having grown up there I know that the weather can change quickly so I'll need to be prepared with warm clothing.

I've prepared for this race much better than the Winter Death Race.  Trained cross fit style over the past two weeks with an emphasis on burpees.  I'll be ready for their damn burpees this go round.  They have talked a bunch about swimming and it would appear that there is a large reservoir about 6 miles as the crow flies from Pittsfield to Crittenden....but that's as the crow flies...so that means we'll have some hiking through the mountains of VT to do in order to get there.  Current water temps are in the high 50's and perhaps will be at around 60F on race days(s).  With my handy wetsuit I should be just fine....unless they do not allow them on race day.  I also have my neoprene cap which will go into my pack to keep me from getting a brain freeze in the water along with my neoprene gloves.  Thinking about getting those neoprene booties...hmmm...one more thing to buy for this damn race....will have to hit REI before Friday.

My training this week is consisting of light runs, light push ups, sit ups and burpees....and oh yes not to forget, knitting.  Yep that's right.  It's 5:30AM and I am you tubing my way to learning how to knit.  Not certain that we'll have this exercise when we get to Pittsfield, but I'll at least be able to knit a scarf if required to do so.

I may log one more blog before the race....i'm as ready as I'll ever be....knit one purl two.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I saw the video of your swim at Saint George Ironman....scary!!!Rated by hundreads by the thoughest IM; so, this new challenge should be like a joke for you!
    Bonne chance!

    Fco.

    ReplyDelete