Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Spartan Death Race 2012

The weather forecast for next Friday is a high of 78F and a low of 56F with a 30% chance of thunderstorms in Pittsfield, VT.  I am hoping that the weather cooperates and remains mild with little to no rain for the weekend and through Monday, which is the expected completion day of the race.   I've been checking the Facebook site for the Spartan Death Race participants and the organizers are having fun jacking with everyone prior to the race.  They've modified the start times, end times, the required gear list to include a pink swim cap, chop sticks, dress shoes and clipping from a bonsai tree.

My plan is to arrive in Pittsfield on Thursday afternoon, head into town, go to the local grocery store and do some reconnaissance.  On Friday morning I plan on getting up early to get my spot inside of the tent with all of my gear, on high ground in case it rains.  I did learn a few things from the Winter DR that I plan on doing differently for the Summer DR.  In an event like this, it's best to simply remain flexible and adaptive with a positive attitude while focusing on balancing rest and nutrition along with overall position/rank.  

In preparation for this race I have done the IM in St George, a 100 mile bike ride, a 30 mile trail run as well as a ton of core work.  Over the past week I have stepped up my upper body work outs to build upper body strength, specifically push ups, dips and burpees.  There has been quite a bit of chatter regarding swimming in this race from the organizers so I plan on hitting the 50 meter pool this weekend and spending some time in the water.  I will go to VT prepared with my wetsuit, goggles, snorkel gear and pull buoy.   My fear is having too much crap in my back pack or not having enough.  I think that I am going to go down the middle of the road and leave certain of my gear back at Amee Farm, we'll see how that works out.  For certain I need to have in my pack the mandatory items and right now the plan is to also have:

1.  Wetsuit, with neoprene cap (keep me dry/warm) with goggles
2.  Head lamp
3.  100 oz water bladder with Gatorade
4.  Hammer Gels (glycogen)
5.  Potato Chips (sodium)
6.  Gloves
7.  Hat
8.  Lighter/Matches
9.  Wool socks
10. Set of hand and foot warmers
11.  Black tape
12.  Plastic garbage bags & bread bags (for sneakers if they get wet)

The goal with the above list of items is to (i) have hydration/nutrition for energy (ii) keep warm and (iii) stay light in weight in the event we have to run.  I need to reevaluate my current pack as it may be too big to run with and I may need a smaller pack.....I'll most likely pack both and get a lay of the land on Thursday/early Friday.  There is no substitute for preparation.

Still plenty of time before the race to think about these things, while they play head games with us.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment