Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Count Down Begins.....30 Hours Before Shotgun Start!

It's ironic that I'm positing this blog 30 hours out from the race start.  The race cut off is 30 hours.  Two years ago I finished the L100 in 29 hours and 22 Minutes.  I've done a bunch more races since then and have gained more experience, but have gotten a little slower.  This, I believe is an asset in Ultra Endurance Trail Races.  This morning I tipped the scales at 180.3 pounds.  When I last ran the L100 I weighed in at 176 pounds.  A little extra body fat should suit me well at high altitude.

Brian Johnston and Daley Ervin will be arriving tomorrow into Denver and then making their way up the mountain to Leadville.  We'll have a pre race meeting and late lunch/early dinner.  I will be on my back by 5PM MST in the hotel room.  We'll be leaving the hotel at 3AM in Frisco, CO to arrive in Leadville at 3:30AM for a 4:00AM shotgun start.  The temps should be at around 40F and will get up to 72F in the afternoon.  It's actually going to be a "hot" race relatively speaking.  Sun block sand covering up is a must.  You don't want to get fried in the sun and then have the temps drop at night into the high 30s/low 40's with a sun burn...bad things happen at high altitude.  It's very unforgiving and takes any minor issue and exacerbates it.  I'll be running with Tim Engel, Francisco Moreno, Greg Unger and a host of others that I've run with up here over the past 5 years.  They all have crews/support.

The plan is for Daley to begin pacing me at mile 60 to mile 87.  At mile 87 Brian will take over and pace me into the finish line.   I think that we'll all be just fine.  Patience and perseverance will win the day.

I signed up for Life360 which is a tracking mechanism.  Brian, Daley and Carla are all on it so I will be able to communicate with them on the course, where I can get coverage.  They too will be able to see exactly where I am on the course.

It's getting late and signing off for the evening....more to follow...Cheers..PT

No comments:

Post a Comment