Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Friday, October 15, 2010

6 Weeks till the Baker Delivers Some Humble Pie

Last night I ran with the Denver Trail Runners Club in the foothills of the Rockies. To warm up I ran 2 miles before the group arrived. The runners are usually divided up into several different groups. I try to run with the average running group not the fast group. Last night however, I managed to get with the fast runners. These cats like to run up hill at a 9:00/mile pace at 6,500-7,000 feet of altitude. Needless to say it was a real blood pumping run. During the first 5 miles I was anaerobic and then my endurance training kicked in and I was able to run very comfortably with the group.

Well, it's 6 weeks till the last race of the season. I'm getting anxious but enjoying the build up to the run. A 50 miler requires patience and lots of it. The tendency is to want to run this distance - when it requires walking every incline, no matter how slight. You can actually run the inclines during the last 6-7 miles as you'll know just how much gas you've got left in the tank. During the Leadville Silver Rush 50 I wanted to push it early, but waited till I got warmed up over the first miles of the race, which I never broke a 9 minute/mile pace. At mile 30-40 of the race I hit the proverbial wall. I walked for a very long time and was falling asleep due to a glycogen low. It took me an hour and sucking down water and hammer gels to recover. When I did I felt fine and finished, for the most part, pretty strong.

A 50 mile race is the equivalent to a full Ironman. While probably difficult to understand it is the real deal. It is challenging both mentally and physically. One has to go in prepared and very mindful of nutrition, hydration, pace and alert to what is happening to their overall physical and mental state throughout the race and respond accordingly.

Below is a picture of the Leadville 100 Trail Run at about mile 18-20. Sadly enough I never made it back to this part of the out and back course. This area of the course is between Fish Hatchery and Half Moon aid station. It was at Half Moon aid station that I DNF'd.....Mile 72 a big ass bummer.

Tomorrow I've got to get in 10-12 mile run. It'll bring my run mileage up to 40 miles for the week. I'm planning on getting a 2 hour massage on Sunday :)

Anyways ...... still lots of training to go. It's my white room.....

Cheers!




1 comment: