Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Thursday, August 16, 2012

If Rest is an Important Part of Training, I'm in Great Shape

The taper leading up to the race is always the hardest weeks of training.  You're body is so wired to be training hard and when you scale back significantly before a race, psychologically it's a bit challenging. My body needs it.  I have trained specifically for this race over the last 6-9 months so that I can tackle the 63,000 feet of vertical gain & loss at UTMB.  As a result I have a few tweaks that I've been nursing, nothing major, by can turn into something major 70 miles into a race.  This is why rest and non-impact type of training is important as the big "A" race of the year approaches.

My training this week has consisted of core, hiking up a stair master and treadmill and cycling.  I'm feeling good, but with it being only two weeks out from the race my goal is to focus on nutrition, dropping a few pounds and rest.  I'll still be getting in some very light runs on the treadmill, no backing off on core work outs and getting everything in order at the office so that I can really focus on the race while I'm there.

Getting up early to get in a 40 mile bike ride...my times have been outstanding on the bike, but it's only 40 miles....in November I'll have to sustain it for 112...lot's to do to get prepared for that race.  Can't make the mistake and look past this race..Focus.

Cheers!

1 comment: