Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Taper has Officially Begun


Over the past 4-6 weeks I have been diligent in my course specific training for UTMB.  I have focused on building quad strength by climbing/hiking hills with weights as well as developing a solid core that I hope will sustain me in the myriad of ascents and descents in the Alps of Mont Blanc.

I’ve got a mild case of tendonitis in my right Achilles, which has been exacerbated by my paranoia which is common three weeks out from a big race.  As a result I am going to be spending a lot more time in the pool as well as on the bike.  This transition from running is going to get me a jump start on training for IM Phoenix in November.

Over the past week I’ve dropped a couple of pounds, primarily from eating healthier and excluding alcohol from my diet…well at least for the most part.  The work schedule has been pretty hectic as of late, which is also consistent with three weeks before a major race, it only never fails.  It is expected to get worse over the next 14 days, so I’ll need to focus on getting sleep and eating right despite the stress of work and preparing for UTMB.

I’ve read the mandatory list of gear about 10 times and still a bit concerned about my camel back’s ability to store everything.  The temperatures range between 45F and 75F.  I’m guessing that at the higher altitudes of the course it will be colder and windy, so the chill factor will be something to contend with.  The Death Races have prepared me for cold and miserable conditions.  Layering of clothing will be important.  If it rains on us for extended periods of time it will be an issue with keeping my feet dry and warm.  Wool socks and lots of them at the aid stations will need to be supplied to my one-man crew.

We’re about to land back in Nashville from Chicago…a very long week, but productive.  Hope to get in a good bike ride today and core workout.  A little yard work as well and getting to bed early…..Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment