Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Monday, August 6, 2012

UTMB, Berlin Marathon and IM Phoenix

At 4 weeks out from UTMB this is my last big week of training for this ultra marathon.  I started the week yesterday with about a 20 mile run in 3:30.  Focus was to just get in the miles, which included 2 miles on the stair master with a 40-lb sand bag on my shoulders.  This morning I felt pretty good and managed to get in a 25 mile bike ride averaging 20MPH and one of my best times for this local route that I train on.

I'll get in 8-10 miles tomorrow night on the treadmill with a 10% incline.  UTMB is all about having the ability to climb and descend.  I'm feeling pretty good, nursing a mild right achilles issue but nothing major at this juncture.  My core has been a huge focus as is now my nutrition.  I've gotta drop 8 pounds to get down to 175 lbs before UTMB.  Train heavy....... race light!!

As I knock down one last week of training I have begun to focus on the Berlin Marathon as well as IM Phoenix.  I managed to get in a good shoulder workout today with the rubber bands as well as some serious glut and quad strength training.    As I approach UTMB my focus will be less on endurance and more on strength, flexibility, nutrition and working my base for IM Phoenix.  There is no question that my bike will benefit from all of the hill running/climbing over the past 4 months.  There is also no question that I need to spend a ton of time on the bike to prepare for Phoenix.

Lot's of training in front of me, but like my odds of setting a PR in Phoenix...that would be 11:37:00 or better.   Look out Timmy.......I'm feeling inspired right now.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment