Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Base Training Season......

No bike this past week, but got in a great swim from 5:00AM - 6:30AM on Friday morning with the masters group. Not really too concerned about the lack of training on the bike at this juncture. I am exactly 90 days or 3 months out from IM St George. My run base is very strong. Despite not spending a lot of time in the water, the time that I have spent is building confidence. My 100M times have dropped 20 seconds after just a few time in the water...from a tiresome 2:20/100M to 2:00/100M...a far cry from my 1:45/100M performance in Australia. Not certain I have the desire/will to get back to that level. I'll settle for getting out of the water in 90 minutes in Utah. Planning on going out for a 40 mile ride today before getting in a 2.5 mile swim with the triathletes at WCRC. Total training time 3.5 hours today...still in front of me....it's 50F and overcast. Below is a picture of yesterday's weather that I was able to run in. The trails at Percy Warner were like small creeks. I hit the trails at about 7AM and got in a 7.5 mile run during a sustained downpour. Nothing like running on muddy trails, cold and wet. Later in the day I managed to get to PL Fitness for a 4.5 mile run on the treadmill, with a focus on running uphill...building quads and calfs. I am determined to never walk uphill...it will pay dividends in the Alps.
I've been doing research on UTMB this past week....a little daunting. Weather is expected to play a major factor in the race, therefore, training in ugly weather in the middle of the night will be a must do. Gotta get the bad ass HB crew in Colorado to spend Friday nights running at high altitude in shitty weather....not so much physical versus mental conditioning. The week ahead includes a short trip out to Denver for a day and then off to Chicago for management meetings. Work is very very busy right now, which is a good thing and expect to only get busier. Being structured and disciplined with nutrition and training schedule will remain important. The good news is that I'm pretty experienced and have learned to not get too uptight about training. Lot's of work to do....gotta stay healthy and building a strong base is the focus. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment