Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Achilles


Well, my stupidity rules once again. Last weekend, while in Aspen Colorado, I decided to go for a run at altitude - running from 8,200 ft up to 12,200 feet over 1.75 miles. For those who run often can quickly calculate that the degree of incline was 8%-12% grade. Because I have been nursing a low left heel achilles strain I unconsciously favored my left leg and put a tremendous amount of strain on my right leg - and right calf/achilles. So what does this mean - a high achilles strain. Fortunately I have had this issue in the past with my right high achilles so I know exactly what to and not to do. I took it pretty easy day 1 and day 2 with some light stretches and just a light swim - no running or cycling. On day 4 post injury I swam 1,000 meters (which felt good) and biked on the trainer for 45 minutes in the aero position. I stretched post work out and feel pretty good.

My weight is around 180 pounds and I'm determined to get down to a consistent 175 pounds - which is the weight that I'd like to train at - less weight - less force on the body (Achilles). I will continue to aggressively build my calf muscles with weight training 4-5 days per week. In addition, I will continue to work out my core as I feel it paying dividends during my swim via tighter form.

Been on the road for about two weeks now and looking forward to getting home and seeing Jack swim and play hoops this weekend. Also, miss the girls and little weenie dogs. Trying to stay very organized so I can keep some balance in my life - which is the big challenge for anyone training seriously.

This weekend will get in a 50 mile bike ride outside in Nashville. The weather is suppose to be 60F and a long swim on Sunday afternoon. This Saturday, January 23, will be exactly 4 months out from Lanzarote :). It's time to get serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment