Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rocky Raccoon Training Update

I'm not certain if one can ever be completely prepared or trained for a 100 mile trail run. When breaking down race day preparedness the following are significant determinants in the probability of successfully completing the event under the 30 hour time limit:

1) Weather
2) Nutrition
3) Physical conditioning
4) Mental conditioning
5) Support

Not necessarily in that order...but you get the gist.

Since the North Face 50 mile trail run I have been averaging 35 mile per week of running. This past week I peaked at 62 miles and my longest run has been 15 miles. I plan on getting in a 20 mile run this week and from there I will begin my taper. I will supplement my taper (which will be 25 miles/week) with long swims and spins classes.

The RR100 course appears to be pretty flat and non-technical, at least compared to my two points of reference, Leadville and Muir Woods. Race and course management will be a bit tricky as my tendency is to run too fast too early in the race. It's very difficult to run at a 10-12 minute mile pace when I train at a 8 min/mile pace. I'm just going to have to force myself to dial it back for the first 30-40 miles. Otherwise, I will pay for it late in the race, as I did in the NF50.



At 4 weeks out from the race this will be a 50 mile run week. Sunday - no run... Monday - 5 mile run... Tuesday - 8 mile run... Wednesday - no run....Thursday -12 mile run ....Friday - 20 mile run.....Saturday 5 mile run...

Hit Prairie Life tonight and got in a good core, calf, quad work out, along with a good stretch on the quads, calfs and IT Bands. Getting plenty of rest this evening and then a nice easy 5 mile run tomorrow. Thinking about adding on a 30 minute swim.....we'll see just how motivated I am tomorrow. Got a lot of things going on at the office and the twin's birthday on Tuesday.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment