Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Monday, June 6, 2011

Good News From the Dr

Sunday was a day of rest per se.....got in a 6.5 mile power walk yesterday at a 15 minute per mile pace. It was good to get out and get in a work out. Today got up early to take Jack to bball camp and then to the office for a series of calls before my 10:30 orthopedic dr visit as a follow up from last Tuesday's crash. He checked out the tapes and told me that my scapula is a good bone to break because it heals very quickly due to the amount of blood flow to it...which is why I'm so bruised. My ribs will also be healed in a couple of weeks, however the cartilage is much slower and will take months. Massage therapy will help as will stretching - which I will do both. The separated shoulder will take some time and I'll just need to ice and take it easy...no bike for a while.

This evening I managed to get in a 5 mile power walk and was pretty sore in my ribs...tomorrow is another day. Will take some Alleve in the morning and get a massage tomorrow...and just some strength training of the legs. This weekend headed to Leadville to train at altitude....need to manufacture some extra red blood cells.

Dr Stark basically gave me the green light today to start back training, with caution and limit it to work outs that do not jar the shoulder....stationary bike and hiking or a light jog....Hoping by next weekend I feel appreciably better so I can get in 10-12 hour hikes each day.....

Keeping the faith..Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment