Bora Bora....

Running the Coast Line in Bora Bora....

Saturday, March 5, 2011

So Far ..... So Good

No running since Monday trail run up at Green Mountain. Spent an hour on Thursday am at 24hr Fitness working on rolling out the IT band, core, hamstrings, quads, hips/gluts and calves. My plan is to focus on hips/gluts strength training before any serious running. I plan on doing 2 miles on the treadmill a few days a week, but focus will remain on pool, bike and strength.

Yesterday I got in a solid 1:50 hour bike ride in 15MPH winds. Rode about 35 miles. 100% of the ride was in the big ring, just like three previous rides. The goal of the big ring is to build strength to ride the climbs in STX with power and handle the significant headwinds that we'll be facing on the west to east 15 mile stretch of the isle. Endurance is not an issue for me, so getting tuned up for this course requires a tailored approach to training. The one factor that I have not yet trained up for yet is the heat/temp conditions. Temps brought me down in Australia and i certainly will not let this happen again. The good news is that altitude simulates the effects of heat so I should be ok, especially if I prepare with heat as well.

Specifically need to train 30 days out by taking in at least 30 oz of fluids, enduro's, aminos, sustained energy and heed so while on the 2:50 hour bike ride in STX my gastro is prepared for the increase in fluids and nutrients. In Australia I was not prepared and it caused major cramping and reduced me to a walk when I increased fluids and nutrients. Body simply was not trained for this increase. Also, will need to focus running on speed not endurance, lots of sprints and 2-3 mile runs at 6 min/mile pace or better while doing a 10 mile interval......

Today is a raining, windy, shitty cold day here in middle tn.....so that means....a great day to train. It'll be a tough ride in these conditions..but there simply is no substitute for riding in nasty conditions. Most triathletes ever consider weather on race day...I'm hoping for 4-5 foot waves, rain and then heat on the run.....we'll get to see you is prepared mentally :)

Well, going to suit up and go for a ride.......

Cheers!


PT

1 comment:

  1. you are off your rocker riding in that weather today!

    ReplyDelete